Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Olympics Are Here

Well the Olympics are something like a week away and the whole world is gearing up for the various events. The hoopla and excitement is building as the attention of the world is focused on Canada. You may think that this has little to do with aircraft maintenance but we too have an Olympic history (at least we do at Southwest Airlines).

Years ago we had what we called the Maintenance Olympics. The Maintenance Olympics were held in Dallas (I believe). Each maintenance station could send a team of four or five mechanics, one stock clerk, and one inspector. There were different events: Tire change, Coalesor bag replacement, passenger seat cover change, and maybe one I am forgetting. The winning team would have the best time in each event. For example the tire change would start with a stock clerk bringing a tire to the mechanics, the mechanics jacking and changing the tire, the inspector making sure that all is legal and no short cuts are taken. All the events are timed and all the work has to be complete.

Now, people from other airlines may not understand all this, and I will admit the culture at SWA is different than most companies. The Maintenance Olympics may seem like a complete waste of time and money to outsiders. I will also admit that SWA has cancelled the Maintenance Olympics indefinitely for exactly those reasons. What is amazing is how the competition helped with team cohesion. After the team was selected others were encouraged to go and root their fellow mechanics on to victory. The Maintenance Olympics encouraged a healthy competitive spirit among the maintenance stations and was a boost in team work within the different maintenance stations.

When the economy comes back around I hope that the Maintenance Olympics can be re-instated. The opportunities for team work building within a company a few and far between. Sure we mechanics work well as a team within our separate stations but this event helped build COMPANY WIDE teamwork and teamwork is the only thing that's going to bring us through this crappy economy.

10 comments:

  1. My, what a large tire in that photo. Nit picking now, to an otherwise good post. They were in PHX, the events changed through the years, and I agree with your point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the only people who participated were the suck-ups! You can keep the MX Olympics, the Culture Committee, and Top Wrench crap. If you don't smoke and drink, then you will go nowhere in the company!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point #2, anonymous. Spoken like a true loser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I think Anonymous has a point. I've seen who has won the Top Wrench Award and the list is pretty pathetic. It really is just a requirement, like drinking Wild Turkey at Spirit parties, to upping yourself into Management at SWA. If you don't believe me, look at your Sups, Managers and the whole trail upward.

    I'm not saying that anywhere you go that you don't have to kiss ass to move up, its that you also have to follow the "Culture Committee" philosophy of keeping your pom-poms flying high and the Kool-Aid flowing too to move up at SWA.

    As for the MX Olympics, they can do what they want with it. There's no reason they had to cancel it. Did it really cost that much to run it. How much did everyone get out of it? Some guys lived for it. Personally, I thought it was a bit much, but that's me. Also, with the present mindset of the FAA, they would probably have a field day handing out fines for something like that. We all know the FAA is all about fun and good attitudes!

    By the way "oh boy", "Spoken like a true loser" is flame bait. That's not what this blog is about. You too "Anonymous".

    ReplyDelete
  5. O.K. Jim, I'll bite. What is flame bait, I haven't heard that one before. And thanks for clearing up for me that blogs and follow on comments are only to be approved by the blogger, or his associated mouth piece, I assume that would be you. And your comment seems to break your own rule, if I am not mistaken, Goat must be one of those suck ups, as a top wrench award winner and all. Help me out here Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems that the we at SWA have let ourselves down. Events such as the Maint. Olympics, company Barbecues, Culture Committee events, Top Wrench, etc. are not designed just for drinking suck ups. Most of those who know me know that I do not participate in these events for the free alcohol. Sure there are folks who go to the events to drink and maybe a few to "suck up" to management. The mistake I see most of us at SWA maint. making is letting those few minority represent the rest of us. If it seems that drinkers and smokers are the only ones going to these events then I have to say, (1) how do the majority of you know what happens at these events when you do not participate, and (2) shame on you for allowing those complainers, who assume they know what goes on when in fact they take the EASY route and talk trash, affect your behavior in such a way that it creates a negative reaction toward your work environment. Barbecues are supposed to be about and for us mechanics but instead certain people at work refuse to go because "management" is hosting the event. If these events have become a "pom-pom", "rah-rah" event it is because you guys find it easier to complain than to participate. I personally like to go to these events. Information is power and things like "message to the field" are full of info as to where the company is headed. I have been laid off from a company that I thought was being honest and straight forward with me. I can glean a lot off of what the CEO is saying. Think about this: at Delta for nearly four years, never once did I even see the CEO. At SWA not only did I meet and talk to the CEO, I have had a few conversations on more than one occasion with the founder! More and more we sound like a bunch of spoiled children who are not getting their way. "He got an EO last week, why can't I get one tonight?"."I had an MV3 yesterday now you want me to do an MV2 AND an MV1?" "Yeah they got us pizza but it's cold now!" "He got, she got blah blah blah..." Forget about "Who Moved My Cheese" what about "Who moved my Kleenex?" Grow up and participate in order to learn and hopefully make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Goat, for clearing that up. I do appreciate your blog, and your point of view. Maybe I will go to the BBQ to see what it is all about. Maybe I should expand on what I meant about anonymous comment, or maybe I should let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went home last night after another double here at SWA MX and felt beat up more than usual. I realized that it was all of the hate mongering...All day negative comments, one after another. If it't not Obama this it's Mgmt that.I agree with Goat " grow up " or just be quite. Myself included.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry everyone. I'll let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't let it go.........

    "Oh Boy", please refer to the following:

    http://personalitydisorders.suite101.com/article.cfm/narcissisticpd

    I hope this helps you. Look to your inner self for healing. It might not be too late.

    Goat, thanks for reminding me what Barry Goldwater's sign said above his desk and this blog rules!

    ReplyDelete