Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Is That Reading Light Out? Great What Else Is Wrong?


So I am going on vacation. I have all the Vacation days in at work and have told my trade partner what is going on so he can adjust his days if need be. I am packed, the travel arrangements are made, rental car, hotel, etc. Everyone has wished me a happy, relaxing vacation which I plan on having. There is only one part of the vacation that I know I will have trouble relaxing on: the flight.

I don't know if it's me or if other mechanics have trouble flying. I'm not afraid to fly or have any concerns about the plane breaking down or turbulence or anything like that. The thing that gets me about flying is that I find myself looking for broken items in the cabin or out the window on the wings, etc. It's crazy I know but I can't  help myself. When I see some lady try to use a reading light and the damn thing doesn't work it ticks me off. Back in the day when we could carry a Leatherman on board I could help out and fix a few things when we landed. Now that TSA has classified everyone as "guilty until proven innocent" I can't even fix the little stupid things I find that bother me. Now I have to sit and stew about the broken tray table latch or galley drawer that is broken.

I will once again try to sleep or read instead of letting my mind wander about the interior of the plane but I'm sure I will have little success. Even when I fly in the cockpit I can't help but look around and there have been times that I've found things that are not right but that the crew didn't notice. In any event I will let you guys know if I notice anything.

3 comments:

  1. I do this also. I have fixed overhead panels, psu panels, 700 lav occupied lights, reading lights plus many more. It is what we do every time we get on an airplane. Its like a gynecologist walking into a whore house I suppose. OK, maybe differant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to do what I can but I won't lose sleep over it. I am too worried about crashing! Yes, I am scared to death to fly and usually Xanax and alcohol helps. Good day everyone. Stop looking at me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what I always notice when I'm flying First Class on Southwest Airlines? Nothing! We ain't got such a horse here!

    No, seriously. No matter how hard I try, I just seem to pick out one or more Self-Sealing stem bolts loose on the gravity floor plating. If one were to give way during a high warp maneuver say, with the Cardassian Warship Ka-Runch, damage to the structural integrity of the ship could be compromised. That could mean a long lay-up at PAE Orbital Repair Station. Can you imagine Yo and J.D. piloting a small repair shuttle around the exterior of the damaged ship doing a Warp Overspeed Inspection as per MM 05-51-18-01-09-21-86-25-76-01-01-01-801 AND -802! Madness I tell you! MADNESS!

    I luv you G2! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete