Friday, April 23, 2010

Week End Crews

So we have had this on going joke about weekend pilots. I have worked here for a while now and it always seems that when I am working the weekend the calls we get from the crews are, how should I say it, INFANTILE. I'm not sure if it is just the imaginaion of the mechanics but when we get calls about things like nose shimmy or flap lever hard to pull up, they are almost always on the weekend.

I am positive that the junior crews are working on the weekend and holidays. My wife will tell me that it's just my imagination but I'm not so sure. All the "icing" issues that I have run into involve junior crews and they all were on weekends.

There is no question that the current group of pilots won't put up with as much stuff as the older guys. The older guys seemed to know the plane a lot more and although we would never think of it now a days the older crews used to carry an issuse or two in order to get the planes out on time.

Maybe the fact is that I'm getting older and as I do I notice that some of the complaints we get in maint. sre just that-complaints. If that is the case it's not going to get better any time soon. We are often just having to hold the pilots hands and let them know that it will all be ok. "Yeah Capt'n, I checked it out and it seems like that _______ is OK". How many times have you heard yourself saying that?

A good part of our job is in reassurance for the flight crews but now a days it seems like the crews are afraid to fly or is it that they are trying to throw their perceived Captain seniority around. I hate to break it to them but your 50,000 employee number amounts to nothing much.

Keep em flying-Push that tin!

2 comments:

  1. "The entrance door is hard to close, we got it closed however and it has closed normally for the last 4 legs. So I put it in the book, just in case......" (SWA Pilot EMP# 65000+, Last Saturday swings)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think window washing is a joke! I'm not provided with anything to clean them with, so a can of water and some C-folds is all I have. I get them from the plane and so can the pilots. I'm a one man station and getting stuck doing windows as a plane returns to the gate for an IMPORTANT maintenance issue just looks bad.

    I have looked over my college transcripts and I could not find any class that I attended that certified me in aircraft window washing, so I feel the pilots are as qualified as me in this task.

    ReplyDelete