Friday, June 11, 2010

Golden Age Pics from SkyWalker


The plane above is a CV-340. I don't know any thing about the CV-340 yet but I am an airliner nut so I will be looking it up to learn some more. This is an incredible picture, it looks like a Untied Airlines plane that either had a gear down or got stuck in the mud or something. Check out the mechanics and the cranes! This was a day all those guys who worked on the plane would have remembered for their whole career. Thanks for the pic SkyWalker and anyone with info on the CV-340 drop us a line!
**UPDATE**
here is a link to Wikipedia for more info on the Convair 340:

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment Javali. I checked out your blog, I really like the pics! Maybe we will start a section with pictures from flying airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found & began enjoying your blog today - great work!

    There is a Convair CV-340 (actually converted to turboprop and now known as a CV-580) that the Honeywell corporation flies often out of Paine Field in Everett, WA where I work for Boeing. What a cool old airplane (and what a HUGE vertical Stab!). A little blurb about it here: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/honeywells-convair-580-test-aircraft-gets-a-facelift-343885/

    We actually get to see quite a few cool airplanes fly occasionally since there are a couple collections based at the airport. Everything from ME-262's to a MiG-29. Also get occasional visits from local military aircraft (my recent favorite was a stop, hover & go-around high-speed-pass from a V-22 Osprey).

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE: My post above.

    I did a little more poking around and (using the original CV-340 tail number N73102) I found out that the airplane I mentioned IS THE VERY ONE PICTURED IN YOUR PHOTO! At least according to this website: http://www.stinsonflyer.com/sf-98.htm

    Do a search there based on "N73102" to get to the pertinent entries.

    Funny & cool!

    I'll have to pass this info around work - we should all have more respect for such storied aircraft!

    Again - thanks for your blog...

    ReplyDelete