Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The View from The Ground

When you were a kid and you flew on an airplane I can guarantee that you begged your parents for the window seat and sat in awe of the people who worked outside getting the plane ready for your flight. I know I did and I affected me so much that I started my career in aviaiton at a very young age.

Although that kid is still inside me somewhere the view from the ground, working on these beasts has somewhat tarnished. I'm not sure if it is the fact that the work is hard, the work is often thankless, or the work sometimes has to be done under extreme pressure or circumsatnce. I love airplanes and I love working on them and I don't think that will ever end. What has ended is my desire to go the extra mile while I'm at work. I still do more than most I think but there was a time that I did way more than was required of me.

This may be a normal "growing" process that I am going through but the "edge" or the "eye of the tiger" has left me. I am an "old school" guy and the way things have changed in our industry has left me behind. I recently took an on line test to renew my Taxi and Run up privledges within SWA. Fourteen years ago when I began my career at SWA I took a similar test. The test was not on line of course but instead relied on one of the Senior mechanics to instruct me on how to safely operate an engine and perform taxi manuvers with proficiency. This process probably took 3 weeks in total. I had never taxiied an airplane or even had run up rivledges at Delta Airline so I soaked all the new info up like a sponge. The mechanic teaching us was methodical an often predictable with the emergency scenarios he threw at us but it was a very effective way to teach.

The first time I taxiied there were a couple of flight attendants on board watching us. As you know when you first throttle up and the plane just begins to move, you do a break check to ensure they are working correctly. Being the first time I was doing this I really slammed on the breaks, the plane STOPPED and our guests went sprawling forward and into the flight deck. The first time I taxied to the gate I was off the J-Line by about two feet so I had to buy Doughnuts for the guys.

Long and short of it: I learned by doing. Fast forward 14 years. I'm sitting in front of a computer which gives me a lesson and the a test. Much to my dismay there are 11 parts to the Taxi and Engine Start each one taking about 45 mins to go through, test, and review if necessary. At the end of the thing is the Final Exam. So that's a total of 12 tests and about two shifts of course work to go through. I have to say I feel like this is a result of the company not taking care of those mechanics who mess up, while taxiing, there by requiring all of us to sit through this torture. I learned less in those 11 lessons than I did 14 years earlier and I killed a bunch of brain cells by staring at a computer monitor for 8 hours over the course of two days. Add to this that I still had to go out and do gate calls when it was my turn and you can see that for a guy like me this is no way to learn something. I passed, and I passed with a very good grade, but I hardly learned any thing new.

That is the direction that this job is going for me. More and more rules and procedures with less and less reward. It's like the growing trend for a second mechanic to check your work when you are done. I do not like this and I'm sure there is more stuff like that to come. I will still work my best and do my job as well as I can but the atmosphere at work has changed and I do not seem to be able to change with it.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, But it sounds like it might be time to try something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking its time to try a new location. Maybe a change of venue will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can't afford to loose people like Goat in our industry. I say people instead of mechanic because anybody can turn a wrench, It takes a special person with intuitiveness, a special knowledge, and a special love for what they're doing to always go above and beyond what is called for. I'm meeting fewer and fewer of these types of people as I go on in the industry. As a matter of fact, I'm seeing less of it everywhere I look in the U.S., but we're talking about the Aviation field here.

    Goat is right about our training. We rely too much on CBT and not enough on "The Hands On Approach". As mechanics, we can do that. It would be wasteful on fuel if pilots had to train in a live aircraft. A simulator works much better for them.

    Now what I got out of my last CBT for Engine run and taxi was how to read signs on the taxiways. Big whoop. This stems from putting a couple of retards behind the throttle and letting them go out on to an active runway. Who signed their license? Take that instructor and find out how well they passed the testing and see how is other students are doing are doing violation wise. Bust the mechanics who caused the problem, but go upstairs and find out who approved them, who approved the designee, and who approved the testing. Accountability! Maybe they might find out that their curriculum is flawed and prevent another problem. Maybe more hands on might have solved things instead of
    making us go through these lame CBT's that are akin to "Driver Education" that we had in High school.

    I have no problems with CBT, but for taxiing? Just as Goat, I had the same guy check me out on A/C 515 doing the same tricks to me to make us realize that we are not taxing a computer screen, but a large and powerful airplane that we are responsible for during that taxi time. That impression has never left me yet.

    The fact that Goat realizes that this type of training doesn't have to be our future, just as I realize that the DOT/FAA and their pathetic bullying of our industry will go no where. It just makes good mechanics leave the industry and new mechanics have to wear Depends so they don't wet themselves when he gets written up for missing a placard on a walk-around! God knows that the FAA would never show its ignorance and ask some technical questions concerning something other than a part number! This might be a bit off track, but imagine if the DOT helped do something about drunk driver on the road. What, I don' know, but I imagine there are a whole lot more people be killed by drunk drivers that in airplane crashes due to faulty maintenance.

    We need people with Goat's nerve to point out what is wrong and do what is right. He has the making to be the second best mechanic there ever was. The best mechanic ever is my brother; Lead Mechanic on the Line for Alaska Airlines in LAX.

    As for me, this is all I can say;

    Let the dead bury the dead Mr. Finch. Tom Uewell fell on his knife back in yon bushes and I plan on leavin' it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scout would agree, as do I!

    ReplyDelete