Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Aircraft Maintenance and Old Age



I know it's been a long time since I've posted (almost a  year!) but I had to get over this whole "Corporate Security" thing. Those of you who are or who know aircraft mechanics know that we can hold a grudge for quite a while! I'm going to continue on every now and then, more stories, more cool tools, etc.




This post is about getting old. It's something that we all have to face and for a lot of us it hits pretty hard and pretty quick. In the early days of my career I did Airline Overhaul. I was crawling around structures, getting into tight corners, lifting heavy-odd shaped things like aircraft lavs, climbing into fuel tanks, laying on aircraft ribs and stringers, grinding all matter of metals and corrosion, you get the picture. Back in the day I was able to do those things and hop right up, walk away, no pain, no aches.

The thought of having to go to work now in my mid 40s and possible climb into a fuel tank is frightening! The little  things are hard these days! Kneeling down to get the bolts off the main tire so we can change it kills my knees. My back puts up a fit when I have to change a flight deck seat. My shoulders scream while I'm changing a position light.

These aches and pains are something all you new up and coming mechs are going to have to look forward to.

The most startling change is the eyes. Back in the day I could read all those tiny tiny tiny wire numbers which are printed on those tiny tiny tiny aircraft wires. I could use a mirror and read those numbers along with those annoying parts data tags on various valves and actuators with no trouble at all. Now part of my Line MX Tool Kit are my reading glasses. Without the help of those suckers I would be in trouble.

I worked with a guy I'll call MDro. MDro was a good mechanic and he was a good supervisor after that. I remember when we would be reading wiring diagrams MDro would wear TWO pairs of reading glasses!



My intent is not to complain about aging but to let you guys know that it gets harder to do this job as you get older. A good friend of mine always say that "it takes a lot of work to make this job look easy". Just know that the work part may not increase but the aches and pain part will.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back at it again Goat...was afraid those corporate types ran you off :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climbing into a fuel tight is frightening indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you back Goat, was afraid I'd never get to enjoy reading your posts again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father has been in aircraft maintenance for his entire life. He just turned 55 and started complaining about those aches and pains as he works on planes. He loves it though, so he finds the discomfort is worth being able to do his work. Any tips to avoid the discomfort that I can pass on to him? http://www.specializedaero.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Claire. The aches and pains are part of the job and have been for years. I'm 44 and the only thing that helps me is regular exercise, even just walking every morning to loosen up the old joints. That and about four Tylenol.

      Delete