Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Remember Them Days.....

I am proud of where we have come as a group here in OAK Maintenance. We have a great work area, break room, tooling, etc. We do a kick ass job every day of the year. I wonder how many of us can recall the "old days" before the success back when we were all afraid of losing our jobs because that feeling of having lost our previous job was still fresh in our minds.

Pic of OAK when the T2X expansion was being built.


I am guilty of it, I drive a nice car with leather seats and cruise control. I like to eat out and go on nice vacations. The difference is that I remember them days! I remember when the car we owned could only make it on local trips, as a matter of fact we had a truck and that truck only sat three, but we are a family of five (actually four at that time). These types of things are what I would like to remind my fellow mechanics about in this post. Some times it seems to me that we have lost sight in the where we have come department.

I'm talking about years ago before the leather recliners, nice salaries and stuff. Let's see who remember them days.

Remember when your wife had to drop the kids off at the work parking lot so that she could get to work on time.

Remember when your wife had to drop you off at work because you only had one car?

Remember using the belt loaders for EVERY tire change AND brake change?!!

Remember the parts shed at gate 17?

15 minute turns?

Coach seating on our planes?!

Do you remember how the roof of the maintenance van got caved in?

How many of us remember driving down to San Jose in the van when there were no seats in the back?

Why is the vans sliding door welded shut?



How about the George Foreman Grill?

Snickers, smokes, and a coke.

Who can remember when we HAD to work 2 or 3 planes each per night or the work would not get done?

Remember finishing up work in OAK, heading to SJC to knock some work out and then going to SFO for some more work? And we were happy to do it!!

Remember calling MX CTRL for troubleshooting help?

Who can recall trying to fix MELs on turns? And days when we tried to have ZERO MELs fleet wide!!

Some of us can remember going to Frank's after work for a drink.



The point I'm making is not that the old days were all that grand. We worked and we worked hard. I think a little struggle goes a long way toward motivation. We worked and sacrificed because that layoff was still a bitter taste in our mouths. I fear that as time goes on, some of have forgotten what that was like.

The jobs we have are as stable as any job can be in the airline industry, but don't let that fool ya. We have all seen airlines make cuts that don't make sense, my goal is to make our work group too valuable to cut.

I have SWA's back because I don't want to go back  to the sharing a car with the wife days.  I'll take my leather seats in my own car and yes please install the seat heaters as well, I'm not getting any younger.

5 comments:

  1. I remember most of those, and have gone back to some of them. I always liked the oil shed transfer with the belt loader. Your point is right on.
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crick. Those were fun times. Back when the most important thing was to get the job done, not how the job was done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. I'm still pretty young and I've only been in the game a couple years but I know what it's like to work hard. I look back on the 12's on base during the Haiti relief effort with a smile (not for the disaster), yeah it was 12's, yeah every spot was filled... But I got some of my best experience trouble shooting red streaks then, and you know the work you're doing is in-expendable.

    Now I'm going to ERAU for civilian side maintenance. Starting from scratch pretty much, all over again. I know some time relatively soon I'll look back on this with a smile too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment Mondoid! Good luck at ERAU! I am an Alumni, I got my Aircraft Maintenance Management Degree there. Keep all those memories in the back of your mind, one day they will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started to write about the good times at SWA in OAK and it broke my heart that they are just memories now.

    I had the time of my life, though.

    ReplyDelete