Friday, January 1, 2010

My Line Tool Boxes and Bags

When I first started to work line maintenance my only experience had been hangar related work. Because of this I had a large roll away tool box (mine is a Waterloo) that I've used since my Delta Airlines days. When I brought it over to Southwest the guys liked to call it a "Taco Wagen". I quickly learned, I mean like in a day or two of working the line, that I need a more portable tool box to carry from plane to plane.

My first line box was a Craftsman two drawer tool box. It worked well and I would guess that it lasted about 2 years. I got another and even made a dolly for it so I could tow it behind a tug. I liked the Craftsman boxes but still I needed more portability, something I could carry up into the plane. Most of the guys at the time were using Gator Bags so I bought one of those. The Gator bags are good tough canvas bags with lots of storage compartments and a big beefy zipper to close them up. Once zipped up the bag was even water resistant but all the tools you had in the outside pockets were in trouble once the rain came. I would say I have used two or three Gator Bags and maybe two of Craftsmans variety.

I ended up taking my roll away tool box home as all the stuff that I needed I kept in my line bag and all the tools in the roll away were just being ignored. I never used my 1/2' drive stuff and all my hangar do-dads where just collecting dust.


Now that I have been on day shift for quite a while I use tool bags exclusively. My current bag is sort of an electricians tool bag. It has a large single opening that can be zipped up and shut. It has a long strap and is meant to be carried over the shoulder. Picture electricians working on power wires up on poles, they typically have a bag hanging off one shoulder, open with easy access to their tools. I liked the idea of the bag because it allows me to swing the bag behind me and walk down the aisle of the plane without whacking people in the head. When I first got it it had a hammer ring on it which I removed and a pocket on the side for a spool of wire which I use to hold my safety wire. The flap of the bag hangs down when the bag is open and has a pocket for small stuff. In addition the back of the bag is flat and has a large pocket for more stuff. I have managed to keep an incredible amount of stuff in this bag and it has held up very well. In addition to my line bag I keep my large wrenches in another canvas bag which stays in the back of the golf cart until I need it. So here is my list of things that are in my bag right now:

Dykes
7" Vice Grips
Duckbill Pliers
Large pair of Hogs (slip joint pliers)
safety wire pliers
wire crimper/stripper
6" Crescent wrench
knife
two 1/4" ratchets
1/4-5/16" angled dog bone
Large demolition flat blade srewdriver
can of .032" safety wire
set of 1/4" deep sockets
set of 1/4" shallow sockets
set of 1/4" wobble sockets
various drill bits
various apex bits
small container with cotterpins of different sizes
small container with various small cabin parts
Snap-On ratcheting stubby screw driver
flat blade screwdriver
#2 phillips srewdriver
flip flop screwdriver that I use as a nut driver
Craftsman apex bit driver thing
Husky apex bit driver dog bone looking thing
Husky jeweler type screwdriver
set of allen wrenches
set of flip-out style allen wrenches
1 hydro-lock
pigtails for landing lights
one reading light lens
one emergency exit light lens cover
one auto-pilot disconnect switch
2 or 3 life vest seals
two long ty-wraps
small zip lock bag with electrical splices in it

As I mentioned before I have in my golf cart smaller canvas bags with wrenches, jumpers, pin extractors, BITE books. Of course I have my ball peen hammer and speed handle and more apex bits in this holder I got one Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the Gator bags, I also remember (I'm not bragging) that I was the first to get one in OAK. I remember this as I had to endure the repeated comments of my fellow mechanics asking me, "Are you a doctor? Do you make house calls"?

    It might have looked dumb at first, but a lot of the jokers ended up switching from there fanny pack tool bags to the style I used.

    I wasn't a trendsetter, I just knew a good thing when I saw it. The Gator bag was styled a lot like the Air Force line bag, but bigger. How can you not like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering can I buy metal off a A-10 aircraft? I am planing on building a tool box with metal.?Who sells and where to buy? I dont go directly to DM air force base in Tucson or do I? Where to search. I have found nothing but car junk yards in tucson but noughing about airplanes scraps yards. I dont want to go across state lines.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete