Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Way Of The Whine

I know that I have already blogged about this before. I hate that our industry has come to this. I feel like an old man when I bring it up. Maybe it has always been like this and I was too green to have noticed it back in the day. I'm talking about whining. In the last five or so years it seems to me that the whining in our maintenance shop has gotten out of control. Some of the guys who work there do not seem to do any thing but whine. I can recall one night when everything seemed to be going well, one of the chief whiners walked by me, on the heels of his co-whiner, no mention of how good the night was, no mention of how clean their aircraft was, no mention of how well they were getting paid. This guy was actually complaining about how the paperwork package was different from the last time he did whatever job it was he did. I have heard the same set of guys complain about everything from shift start time to actually having to work or terminate the plane they are supposed to work on to how the work is assigned to how the roller chairs in the break room suck. I have even heard complaining during down time.

I'm not saying that some of the complaints are not legit. I'm not saying that there are not things that need to be fixed (even at SWA). What happens as far as I am concerned is that because I hear all complaining all the time from some of these guys, when they have a legit complaint, I lump it in with all the rest of the whining and chalk it up as a problem with the mechanic.

Having been around for a while I also understand that there is a far bit of whining that is coming from management on down to the work force. My main beef is the whining about delays. Sure I realize the importance of understanding what happened to cause a delay. To hammer a mechanic for taking a delay is kind of crazy in my book. I am paid to fix planes, to provide an airworthy plane for the flight crew as well as for the flying public. If I take a delay fixing a plane then I am okay with that. When you get back in the office and a delay report comes in they come running up to you with "why did we take a hit on ac XXX", or "how did you get a (whatever) minute delay for fixing a coffee maker?" It goes on and on... When the flight crew calls, and they call often not when they get on the ground but when they remember a problem or even when they are fully boarded, we go. Doing this often creates a delay. Additionally if the plane is already 20 minutes late and I go out to fix a reading light at push time that for whatever reason takes me 5 minutes to change, do the book, etc. I get a 25 minute delay. Crazy!

There are flight crews that whine, Operations Agents that whine, Ramp Crew that whine. All this whining reminds me of the Little Boy Who Cries Wolf. I hear so much of it that I no longer hear any of it.

It seems more and more that the whiners get their way while the workers are ignored. That said I will continue to work as I always have and as I was taught. Happy to have a job in these hard times and happy to start work when I'm told and get paid.

9 comments:

  1. What else can I say but, "AMEN brother!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do any of you guy's know if any Boeing 737 cockpit parts come onto the market. I am starting to make a home cockpit and my dream was to convert real parts. "what a fool"

    If any of you guy's know of anywhere please post.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want real cockpit parts I would check out the boneyards in Southern California. They should have some unairworthy parts for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 55 flights + 12 originators for dayshift + no stock clerk + 3 mechanics and 1 lead = being told "just let that landing light go by MGMT it is going to vegas". Really? Yeah we are saving money, at the expense of what? WHINE WHINE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Huh? What airline do you work for Chosen One?

    52 flights, 10 originators, one mechanic = we get it done. We're asked why we have to call for help from another station when we have to do a hyd. pump or fan lube. Tires and brakes on a turn? We have no choice but do it ourselves. Its not easy, but that's what we get paid for. Is it fun? Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work for the same airline as you ...Please don't compare SMF to OAK. You will get no sympathy here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do compare and I asked for no sympathy..... Remember, I've work both stations. I can compare.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I applaud your response. nicely put young man. I ask you, can you do all this while standing on your head??? I think not. Me either. just wanted to make my point which is, that i don't have a point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It depends. I can only stand on one at a time. Actually, it would hurt to try it on both of them at the same time. I'm not as limber as I used to be!

    ReplyDelete