Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Our Personal Integrity

In these times of massive oil spills, planes being flown into buildings, wars that start for reasons unknown, the word integrity seems to have fallen clear out of the dictionary. Where did it go and will it be back?

Well, I can't answer that for anybody but me.

I have always maintained my integrity when it comes to my aircraft since my first logbook sign-off. I know there are people out there who have seen me run around acting like a chicken, wearing a HUD cover over my head, or confusing Flight Crews by telling them that I was born without a last name, but I have always kept it serious when it comes to aircraft maintenance.

Maybe its because I have an older brother that is an A&P (no Technician here, thank you), a father who was a WWII fighting Marine, a bit of OCD, I don't know. Maybe all of them put together. I just know when it comes down to it, down to the last screw, I find it necessary to complete the job, whatever it may be, to the best of my ability. If I don't think that's good enough, then I call in someone I trust to look it over and maybe even correct it. I'm not above having my work corrected. In fact, I invite it. My personal integrity is driven by my want of a job well done. When I can do my job safely and it allows the aircraft to leave safely is what I strive for. My integrity knows nothing of making an on-time flight, saving money, or getting back to the break room to catch the end of that great movie. It knows only safety and hard work to make it that way.

I know the A&P's reading this know what I'm talking about and I'm only preaching to the choir here. What I hope is that people either connected with our job or maybe even someone who wonders about us sees this and knows that we care.

We care a lot about personal integrity.

2 comments:

  1. Integrity is a virtue that seemingly is missing within our culture. It's true that, by their very nature< A&P mechanics have more integrity than most. I enjoy working with others who have a hightened sense of integrity and it is disheartening that others in our industry seem to be losing it. There is hope, however, there are some new guys that we hired recently who are hard workers and seem to have a lot of integrity. Maybe we should put more effort into our hiring process to help weed out those lazy folks that can make working a pain in the rear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if they didn't get the dot right, its still a beautiful airplane (inside joke concerning the C-208 pic)!

    ReplyDelete