Monday, November 2, 2009

The Old 20-80 Rule

I have always said that at my job, and especially on midnight shift, 5% of the people do 80% of the work. I did not realize that there is a 20-80 rule that has been around for ever. 20% of the people do 80% of the work. Its hard for the 20% people to relate to the 80% people and its hard for the 80% people to relate to the 20% people. Its like that old saying "the smart people can't figure out why the stupid people are stupid and the stupid people can't figure out why the smart people are smart".

The guys and gals who typically do the majority of the work can't figure out why those who do not seem to be un-willing to do so. I like to think that I am one of those mechanics who work and not the group of mechanics who complain or avoid work. The problem is that at times I do not go out of my way to help other mechanics or even passengers who need help. Over the last however many years being one of the do-ers at work has worn me down. I'm tired of working my planes just to finish up and have to work other peoples issues. Now this is not something that has permanently affected me or will make me life member of the 80% club. Allowing the 20-80% thing to be the norm simply makes the20% of the mechanics carrying the other 80% tired or sometimes resentful. "They never have to work more than one plane so why should I"?

I like being in the 20% that are considered "good workers". I do have times when I waiver and get tired of doing what I perceive as other peoples jobs. I think that I, unlike the 80%, see the bottom line. I know that the company is the important thing not my perceptions of being over worked. I grew up knowing that hard work pays off and watching my mom and dad go to work everyday and as I posted earlier I got a majority of my work ethic by having the benefit of working around old school guys. It seems like there is a lot of skating going on in our maintenance shop and it really is ashamed.

My 5% - 80% statement may be an over exaggeration of the issue but to a guy who has to run engines or certify systems for another mechanic because that mechanic is simply too lazy to learn how to do it himself it feels unfair. We all have to remember the reason we were hired-to fix planes-and an environment where you as a mechanic can depend on your fellow mechanics to work as hard as you do makes an already difficult job just a little bit easier.

Lets hope that it does not take a layoff of something drastic to make us realize that we have something good here at work. Fix the planes. Its simple really.

7 comments:

  1. That saying, "Smart people can't figure out......." sounds familiar. Where did you hear it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was a comedian. That guy who's tag line is "You can't fix stupid".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was that hecka-cool SWA mech in SMF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well James, I happen to know a couple of "hecka-cool" SWA mechanics that work in SMF. Believe me they are smart ones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first heard that saying from an old WWII Marine named Tom Toughguy or something like that.

    Hey....Something on tools.......Only buy the good stuff. I bought some safety wire pliers from Habour Freight and the were junk. Junk I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?

    Scott Adams

    I am not scott adams

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.

    Albert Einstein

    I am not einstein either, I just couldn't find the quote about fixing stupid. I found these other ones, and thought I would share.

    ReplyDelete