Wednesday, November 25, 2009

One Of The Problems With The Industry

I say one of the problems because there are many, many problems that we face in the airline industry. For me to even try to list all of them would be way more than I would wish to do. For me in my role as an A&P mechanic to even understand all these issues is asking a lot of me. I have noticed a few of the issues that we face as A&P mechanics working in the airlines and one of the main problems is a lack of professionalism or lack of pride of work.

Used to be that when presented with a squawk a mechanic would work the issue until it was done, and done well. Now a days it seems like we all (we are all guilty) try to get our jobs done as quickly as possible just to be able to say we are done-damn how we got there or how it looks. The days of being proud of your work are gone in the airline industry. Most airline employees are beaten down by job loss, pay cuts, benefit cuts, etc. Its a rough industry to survive in!

These things, however, do not excuse not being professional about your work. Guys these days don't care about airplanes or fixing airplanes they are interested in their paychecks-period. Nothing affects them, chastise them, scold them, it doesn't matter. They do not care if the thing they fixed the night before breaks as soon as the plane pushes off the gate. Call me crazy but are we not paid to fix planes permanently? back in the day I would come home after a day of work and feel the pride of having just worked hard knowing that we did good work and did it well. I sometimes wonder how some people sleep after basically doing only the minimum amount of out put. Just enough to get by, don't do any more than is necessary. Why bother?

How some one can work at a job for five or six years and still not bother to learn how to run engines or how to trouble shoot properly is way beyond me. If only they knew that the companies ability to make revenue is directly connected to everyone in the company doing the best they can. There are days when I don't feel like busting ass all night, or days when I'm feeling sick, tired, or depressed for whatever reason. It's ok to have days like that, everyone does. But if 80% of the work group only does the minimum it leaves the rest of us to take up the slack.

For those of you out there thinking of entering this career do not become one of those guys who allow everyone else to carry them through their career. Always remember to go the extra mile with your work, you will be a better mechanic for it. I have had the pleasure to work with individuals that were very professional and had enough pride in their own work that when they said they fixed something you knew it was fixed. The problem is for every one of those guys in the airline there are about 10 who don't. Those are some pretty lousy odds.

2 comments:

  1. You what Goat? This last blog says a mouthful !

    I have worked in a team changing an engine, in a pair changing a window, or by myself changing a tire. If any of the other members of a crew (which includes a Lead Mechanic whether he/she directly works on the job) is the LEAST bit unprofessional in their work, attitude or paperwork on that job, then it draws down the entire group they are associated with.

    We both know that there are maintenance stations that are known for making Line, Overnight, and Check maintenance into an art form. We also know that their are stations that make a circus out of what they perceive as "maintenance".

    When you have a station that has the "Can Do" and "20 Minute Turn" attitude in mind and actually does it, it shows there aren't many or any bad apples in the barrel. With a station that has the reputation of "Monty Python's Flying Maintenance Circus" (tip to G2 for the name), it has to be more than a couple of bad apples. Probably the whole barrel stinks.

    At my station we have only one mechanic per shift; four people total. If we don't keep our professionalism bar set to maximum, then we affect the others and can contaminate each others reputation in no time flat. We all know this and never let the others down by dropping the ball. Why do we help each other like this? It just comes down to "Old School" professionalism.

    Maybe those who slack off on their work weren't listening when parents, teachers, text books, and coworkers were teaching and displaying the art of a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Goat: At my station its the management that causes most if not all of the problems. When a mechanic does something wrong like refusing to work a fuel problem because its their Friday, or work a lav problem because he's afraid of germs, you know all the complains,etc. And the mangement does not do anything or even talk to the mechanic, everybody thinks they can get away with murder. And then eventually there would be chaos. That's what is happen at my station. The inmates are running the prison. I love my work and have pride in it and love the company that have provided food and shelter for me for the last 15 years without a layoff, which is incredible in itself. But to come to work and not get mad at what is happening I have to say to myself I don't care what they are doing to the company, I have to do the best that I can, and I hear you I do sometimes say I don't give a damm I just be as lazy as them, we are getting paid the same, but I was not taught that way. Eight hours work for eight hours of pay. You can't put all the blame on the mechanics. They will take it as far as you let them. It all comes back to management losing control. Redwood

    ReplyDelete